Friday, October 18, 2013

The Jockey Diet -- why it is such a good name!

When I started working with horses in 2008 at a therapeutic riding center in Minnetonka, I began to realize what good exercise horses can be -- not just riding them, but catching them and turning them out, feeding them (especially in the bitter winter), and, of course, tacking and untacking them --particularly throwing heavy Western saddles in an unheated arena in the five or ten minutes between therapeutic riding classes.

I realized that my appetite for junk food was becoming lessened and my interest in food that gives one strength and energy increased.  I also got in touch once again with my childhood dream of becoming a jockey -- which ended when I grew five inches in one year and towered over most of the boys in my grade school class!  Despite the challenges my height placed on my dream (not to mention not having a horse or having any experience riding the racing seat) I have continued in awe and admiration of those amazing 'bug boys -- and girls!" who do live it.  They are weighed before and after each race.  They have to maintain a weight under the weight they might be asked to carry in different races.  Every bite of food they eat must of necessity give them as much energy and stamina as possible.  Why can't at least I eat like a jockey, I began to ask myself?

So I devised a diet that consists of (1) morning oatmeal (usually) or other hot cereal in winter.  I add dried fruit and nuts, sunflower seeds while cooking.  On occassion I make muesli (cheaper than buying), which is typically dry oatmeal with slivered or sliced almonds, dried apricots and raisens, plus shaved fresh apple.  I eat these things with yogurt usually, and add fresh berries.

Then, for lunch, I make a smoothie with protein powder, banana, soy milk and ice.  This gives me energy for the afternoon and manages to control my appetite as well.  (Yoga also helps with suppressing the appetite -- and of course, horseback riding makes you forget about food altogether!).

Before going to the barn (these days to ride and take care of my own horse!) I usually eat a snack including peanut butter, sometimes motzah, and some fruit.  I take snacks with me, including hummus and baby carrots, which pack a lot of energy and fill you up, and trail mix made of raisen bran and whatever seeds and nuts plus a sprinkling of candy, such as M&M's or jelly beans or chocolate covered raisens.

In the evening, I will try to eat a regular meal, focusing on veggies and protein, but not denying myself anything that I want.

But nobody is perfect.  And after I ride or exercise, if I don't have enough good food I will eat whatever I can find -- usually cookies!  Not good.  But that brings me to my insight -- the Jockey Diet works not only because it gives one the food regulation (for those of us who, when stumped by too many choices, will just eat too much) and appetite suppression -- but when you fall off of it, you do just what a jockey does, and climb right back on!

No comments: